Okay, this is a cupcake blog. But the next best thing to a cupcake is a cookie. Especially if it's the First Lady-in-Waiting Michelle Obama's recipe.
According to the New York Times, if you're staying at the Ritz Carlton in Washington, D.C. to attend the Obama Inauguration, you'll receive a complimentary jar of cookies baked from her recipe.
Michelle Obama’s Shortbread Cookies, adapted
1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, separated
1-1/2 tablespoons Amaretto
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
2 cups flour
¾ cup slivered almonds
2. Beat sugar and butter until mixture is smooth.
3. Slowly add egg yolk, Amaretto, salt, orange and lemon rind, mixing well.
4. Slowly mix in flour until mixture is well blended.
5. Pat the mixture into an even layer in an ungreased 10 by 15 inch jelly roll pan.
6. Whisk the egg white until foaming and brush on top of dough. Sprinkle with almonds.
7. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool slightly and cut into two inch squares while still warm.
Yield: 40 squares
Round Up on all Zen Cupcake Obama Inauguration Posts here.